Old Habits Don’t Die in Ashtrays


“This smoke has killed you already. You are disrespecting death. Please stop smoking.”

“It’s 4 in the morning Mam. Don’t you have a family? Your husband and kids might just be waiting for you. Go home.”

*Throws away the cigarette*

*Closes the window*

Another Night

The clock ticks to 4.

“You need to stop smoking. That thing has destroyed many lives. You have no regrets even after all that happened.”

The man leans a bit forward and spits on the side

*Closes the window*

Yet another night.

The Clock ticks to 3 in the morning. 

He stands in front of the mirror.

“What regrets she was talking about? Who the fuck is that lady? Who the fuck roams around like that in the morning. If she comes back again, I'll have to talk some sense to her. Enough of this shit.”

*opens the window*

The clock hits 4. 

“Please stop smoking. The kids are here as well. That thing is evil. Come with us”

“That’s it. You just wait down there now.”

The man rushes downstairs with a pack of cigarettes and rage in his hand. 

“That’s it. Who the fuck are you? Hey, look at me you. These are my fucking cigarettes and I’ll smoke whenever and wherever the fuck I want to... look at me. I’m here...”

The man lights up his old habit. Inhales the burn and exhales his ego on her face. 

“Look at me. Hey.... hey... hey. I’m here. There’s nobody up there... hey....”

The man turns around. There was smoke. A man was leaning down on the window and smoking his cigarette. With a lump in his throat and sweat on his soul, he turns towards the lady...

“Who the fu—

There was no one. The man was scared to death as he made his run upstairs. Shuts the door. Peaks through the peephole. Absolute silence outside. No soul no shadow. But to his surprise, there was no one in his apartment as well. The silence was so loud that he could hear his own breath. He made his way towards the window. No one. The lady and kids weren’t there... It was no dream. The cigarette in the ashtray had still some fire left in it. Old habits don’t die in ashtrays, the moment demanded another drag, so he seized it. 

“One last time before she comes upstairs”

The man heard a whisper from behind. It was difficult for him to find his own voice in that chaos.

“Wh—Who a-a-ar-are you?”

“It wasn’t you she was talking to...It was me.”

“B-B-But who are y—

“I’m her husband. I need a drag before she comes up and takes me away from here...”

“You don’t live here... I rented this place last week. I live here alone...”

“We used to live here. I died of throat cancer a couple of months back. Left them to suffer. She couldn't take it anymore and jumped with the kids from the balcony. She blames me for the mess. I can’t live without a cigarette man. Well, I can’t live without it even now. Listen, you smoke first, and after that pass it on to me ...”

“A-a-are you a ghost?”

“Sadly! I have no time left. Let me smoke in peace man, she'll be here any moment.”

The man passes him the cigarette.

The man jumps out of the window.
 
The ghost inhales the fire. 

*knock Knock*

End. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ae Aaji

Love will wait…The Muse wont.

An Afternoon that lasted for 22 years